This Meal Prep Souvlaki Chicken with Orzo and Asparagus is a hearty, fresh delightful make-ahead meal for lunch or dinner.
Who’s up for a delightful, craveable, make-ahead meal that will power you through the busiest of days this week?
There’s something divine about the anticipation of a delicious, well-crafted lunch awaiting you. Meal prep bowls like this Meal Prep Souvlaki Chicken with Orzo and Asparagus provide that, giving you something to look forward to at lunchtime.
When you make them ahead — on a Sunday evening, for instance — they’re ready to grab and go for meals away from home. Just add fork and knife!
This meal prep bowl starts with Lemon Butter Orzo — a savory dish with just the right hint of tang. That’s topped with souvlaki chicken, which is marinated in a tantalizing garlic, lemon, oil marinade. And it’s finished off with succulent easy roasted asparagus.
A few notes on the cooking:
- The chicken needs to marinate for a few hours for best results.
- Definitely multitask — make the chicken and orzo at the same time, for instance. The asparagus can go into the oven as you finish up the orzo.
- It’s always better to err on the side of less salt and pepper in dishes like the orzo. You can always add more to taste.
- Although this bowl is pretty, the name of the game is taste. And this chicken with orzo is full of it.
It’s a complete meal, made ahead and ready to heat up for lunch. It’s also hearty enough to be a dinner.
This meal prep dish combines lemon and garlic marinated chicken souvlaki with lemon butter orzo and easy roasted asparagus for a delightful make-ahead meal.
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Garlic Butter Orzo
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Easy Roasted Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare the Chicken:
- Place the chicken in a resealable bag. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and black pepper until well combined. Pour over the chicken, seal the bag and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with a grill pan in the oven.
- Once hot, add the chicken and cook, turning once, for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from the oven carefully.
To Prepare the Orzo:
- Combine the orzo, vegetable stock, water, lemon zest, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper in a small Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot.
- Cover, set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the butter. Cover again and let melt. Stir to combine.
- Add the lemon juice and fresh parsley to the orzo. Stir. Taste. Season with additional salt and pepper, as desired.
To Prepare the Asparagus:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Break the ends off the asparagus (discard ends) and arrange on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Slide into the oven and roast for 10-12 minutes or until just tender. This asparagus should be more al dente, since it will be reheated.
To Assemble the Meal Prep Bowls:
- Set out four meal prep bowls (mine hold about 3.2 cups each).
- Divide the orzo evenly among the bowls, arranging it in the bottom of the bowl
- Divide the chicken evenly among the bowls, arranging it on one end or on one side (whatever fits best!).
- Place the asparagus in the bowls alongside the chicken.
- Cover (the cover should be airtight). Refrigerate until ready to eat. These should be eaten within four days.
- To reheat: Remove the cover and microwave for 1.5-2 minutes. Enjoy!