This easy one-bowl recipe makes a dozen fluffy, delightful Chocolate Chip Muffins, perfect for breakfasts on the go.
Busy mornings call for easy breakfasts. While you might have an inclination to just skip that morning meal, you shouldn’t. Breakfast is, as they say, the most important meal of the day — and with good reason.
After a long night’s sleep, your body needs fuel to power through a productive day.
And the key to easy breakfast? Preparation and planning. Having a good mix of grab-and-go options makes it a cinch.
Muffins are the ultimate in grab-and-go breakfasts. Whip up a batch and have them on hand for busy mornings. Or pack them in lunch boxes for snacks. They are good for that as well.
As a bonus, or perhaps just a further enticement, these are easy to make. Mix together the batter, let it sit for about 10 minutes, add the chocolate chips and you’re ready to go.
One of my favorite muffin-baking tips is to use a large cookie scoop to divide the batter into the muffin cups. It makes the whole procedure a virtually mess-free task. And less mess makes this even easier since cleanup is a breeze.
Before you bake these, sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar. This transforms these flavorful muffins into wonderful bakery-style Chocolate Chip Muffins. And that added crunch really takes the recipe over the top.
Planning to pack these?
I used to pack muffins in plastic baggies, but the flexible material lets them get so beat up in transit. Instead, use a hard-size container such as a leftover deli salad container. This will ensure the muffin doesn’t get squished.
This easy one-bowl recipe makes a dozen fluffy, flavorful Chocolate Chip Muffins, perfect for breakfasts on the go.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-slot muffin tin with muffin liners. If using paper liners, spray each one lightly with cooking oil spray to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and oil. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth, about 1 minute, and then let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin liners. If desired, sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar.
- Slide the muffin tin into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. A toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins should come out cleanly.
- Remove from the oven. These can be enjoyed immediately, or stored in an airtight container for up to five days.