When you make homemade popcorn in the microwave, you control the ingredients, choose the flavors and know precisely what’s in the big bowl you’re sharing.
As a lunch box treat, after school snack or movie time bite, popcorn is a fun and versatile food that can be enjoyed in many ways. Different flavor combinations transform the just-popped popcorn into something special.
But first, you have to start at the beginning.
The good news is that it’s easy to make homemade popcorn in the microwave if you have two things: a paper bag and some corn kernels.
Once you have the popcorn made, then comes the fun part: flavoring it. These flavor ideas will help you transform you homemade microwave popcorn.
- Parmesan, salt and pepper — Sprinkle the parmesan, salt and pepper directly into the bag while the popcorn is still hot. Shake vigorously. Enjoy.
- Rosemary, olive oil and sea salt — Drizzle a little olive oil into the bag. Use finely chopped dried rosemary. Sprinkle onto hot popcorn with sea salt. Shake vigorously. Enjoy.
- Buttery popcorn — Transfer popcorn to a large bowl. Drizzle with melted butter. sprinkle with salt. Enjoy.
- Peanut butter pie — Spread the popcorn on a baking sheet covered with wax paper. Heat a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. Drizzle over the popcorn. Melt 1 oz chocolate (milk, dark or white will all work). Drizzle over the popcorn. Sprinkle with crushed graham crackers. Enjoy. (This one is a little messy but so tasty.)
- Snickerdoodle — Drizzle (in bag) with melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Shake vigorously. Enjoy.
Which flavor combination do you want to try today?
When you make your own easy homemade microwave popcorn, you control the ingredients, choose the flavors and know precisely what’s in the big bowl you’re sharing.
- 1 brown paper lunch bag
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- Open the lunch bag. Add the popcorn kernels. Fold over the top of the bag twice.
- Place in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes, stopping as soon as the popping slows -- you don't want to burn it.
- Remove from the microwave, let cool slightly (that steam is hot!) and season as desired.